Saturday, May 29, 2010

Vacation day 7

Morning-I finally manned up and hit the river at day break, 5 a.m. Let me say its not as easy as it used to be. Today I fished with Terry, from Iowa, who I met through sliprig.com. Like me he got a late start into catfishing but is trying to make up for lost time. Things went well even though he caught more fish than the captain. If I remember this right he caught 6 or 7 to my 4 or 5. We'll let it slide this time. The recent trend has been stink bait only so I had to put it on one pole. Sunfish, shad or shrimp on the other. Like a rookie, I missed 8 fish early so I Switched the hooks in the dip worms from 084s to trebles. Things did get a little better. Terry brought several different types of bait including a buffet of stink baits and switched it up until he found the special of the day. A fun morning, a new fishing friend and a drink after a morning of fishing. The drink was a diet Coke.
Evening- I noticed law enforcement and a large tow truck at the dead end of Faulkners bridge. It turns out that the tire we've been seeing sticking out of the water wasn't a stray tire stuck on a log, it was attached to a whole truck that was upside down in the river. Another boat was helping the deputy and the tow truck driver in their attempts to pull the truck from the river. My involvement was limited to pulling the assisting boat to the bank when it ran out of gas. When the truck was upright and on the bank we all went fishing. In about an hour I caught 4 or 5 channel cats on stink bait. Still no bites on shad and sunfish. ???

No comments:

Post a Comment