Thursday, May 20, 2010

Vacation day 1

Chub and I hit Pond X yesterday evening. The good news is we caught plenty of bait. The bad news is that the gnats were biting every bit as good as the sunfish were. I went down to Oakland at about 8:30 p.m. or so and ended up spending the night in a lazyboy lawn chair. The action was pretty slow but it was just enough to keep me interested. Every time I looked at the clock and started thinking about going home I caught another fish so I stayed. Packed up all my gear and headed home at 6:30 a.m. I think the score sheet was at 7 or 8 flatheads and 2 channel cats, the biggest was six pounds. I missed several others due to my laziness. You know, the old rod in a rod holder and hands in the pockets trick! In my defense it was cold. It almost cost me a Bass Pro Shop CatMaxx rod and a Penn 320gti reel. The pvc pipe I had wedged in the rocks to hold my rod gave way when a 4 pounder took the bait. Luckily I was able to grab it. I'm glad it wasn't a 40 pounder. Ah what the hell, if it was a forty pounder I would have had a good story and of course a lot of grief about it. That would have been an expensive lesson though.

Let the record show that the rain continues, even during my vacation. It doesn't look like it will last long though.

No comments:

Post a Comment